View the full episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz-Fh70zTB8
Kevin O'Connor helps a homeowner set up a cordless alarm. (See below for the shopping list, tools, and actions.).
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the main This Old Home YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=thisoldhouse.
See brand-new episodes of Ask TOH: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/video/0,,,00.html.
Shopping List for Ways to Install Your very own Security System:.
– Wireless alarm.
– Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
– Video security video camera.
Tools List for How to Install Your very own Security System:.
– Cordless drill.
Steps for How to Install Your Own Security System:.
1. Select a central place in your house and plug the base station into an electrical outlet.
2. Install an entry sensor on the front door by first pulling the plastic tab to trigger the internal battery.
3. Peel off the protective paper from the back of the battery sensor to expose the adhesive strip. Press the sensor onto the door.
4. Eliminate the peel-and-stick support from the magnetic sensor and press it onto the door's side jamb, ensuring to align it with the battery sensing unit.
5. Repeat the previous three steps to install entry sensing units on windows and other exterior doors.
6. Mount a wireless movement sensor to the wall just inside the front door.
7. Set up wireless smoke and carbon monoxide gas detectors throughout the house.
8. Mount the digital control keypad to the interior wall right beside the front door.
9. Program a personal pass code into the keypad for arming and disarming the alarm system.
10. You can likewise operate the system with a key fob or smartphone app on your cell phone.
11. Configure the video security video camera to your home's Wi-Fi system.
12. Plug the electronic camera into an electrical outlet. Then check the system.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old Home:.